I’m Emma Carroll, author of books for anyone of any age – although you’ll probably find them in a book shop or library in the 9-12 section.
You’re most likely to find me hanging out in the Somerset Hills drinking tea and writing under the watchful eye of my Jack Russell terriers.
ESCAPE TO THE RIVER SEA NEWS!
My next book, coming June 9th, is inspired by Eva Ibbotson’s much loved classic ‘Journey to the River Sea.’ My story is called ‘Escape to the River Sea’, and can be read as a sequel to Eva’s, or as a standalone adventure story. It’s set in the Amazon in 1946 and follows Rosa and her friends on the trail to find a supposedly extinct creature deep in the forest…
I had such fun writing this story during lockdown, and hope you’ll enjoy reading it. I’ll be out and about during June at the following places, so do come and say hello!
Thursday 2nd June: The Rocketship Bookshop, Salisbury https://rocketshipbookshop.co.uk/event/salisbury-international-arts-festival-escape-to-the-river-sea-book-signing-with-emma-carroll/
Saturday 11th June: Waterstones Taunton https://www.waterstones.com/events/meet-emma-carroll-escape-to-the-river-sea/taunton
Saturday 18th June: Indie Bookshop Day – 10am-11am Liznojan Books, Tiverton https://www.liznojanbooks.co.uk/
Saturday 18th June contd. 12pm-1pm- Bookshop by the Blackdowns, Wellington. https://www.bookshopbytheblackdowns.com/
Saturday 25th June: Barnes Children’s Festival ( event time tbc)https://www.barneskidslitfest.org/whats-on/
Saturday 2nd July: Waterstones Exeter https://www.waterstones.com/events/meet-emma-carroll-escape-to-the-river-sea/exeter-roman-gate
Xmas Shopping update!
It’s that time of year again! Signed books make great gifts, so if you’d like any of mine signed with names/personal messages here’s how to go about it:
- Saturday 4th Dec 10am-12pm I’ll be signing in person at Liznojan Bookshop, Tiverton. Or you can order before the day for a later pick up https://www.liznojanbooks.co.uk/
2. Online or in person orders before 10th Dec via The Rocketship Bookshop, Salisbury for postal delivery. https://rocketshipbookshop.co.uk/product-category/emma-carroll/
3. Or, Thursday 9th Dec from 6pm , Waterstones Piccadilly, London, I’ll be signing in person
IT’S HERE!!!… Well, almost!
I’m delighted to share with you the cover to my next book, The Week At World’s End, which comes out on Sept 2nd, 2021. I’m particularly excited about this because the book was meant to come out last year but didn’t because of Covid. Also, it’s set in 1962, and was inspired by my mum’s account of living through the few, terrifying days of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The beautiful cover art is by Daniela Terrazzini, who is re-imagining all my covers over the next year or so. To date, she’s so far worked on new covers for When We Were Warriors, The Somerset Tsunami, and my absolute favourite ( it made me shiver when I saw it!) Frost Hollow Hall. I’ll be sharing these with you soon.
In the meantime, Faber have created a very dramatic book trailer for The Week At World’s End, which you can watch here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlXaVVIbdnY
The book is also available to preorder through your local indie bookshops (this helps authors and publishers A LOT because it gives them an indication of how popular the book’s going to be. So, if you can, please do!) Or you can order it from your local library.
In September I’ll be doing a bookshop signing at The Rocketship Bookshop- details here: https://rocketshipbookshop.co.uk/event/emma-carroll-the-week-at-worlds-end-in-store-signing/
Plus there’ll be news of lots more bookshop signings which I’ll post here in the coming weeks, so STAY TUNED!
NEW BOOKS FOR 2021!
You may have noticed I didn’t have a book out in 2020. The reason? Covid. Which means those delayed books are now happening in 2021, so without further ado, let me introduce them to you ….
- January 7th 2021: The Ghost Garden ( illustrated by Kaja Kajfez) published by Barrington Stoke . There’s a review from blogger Minerva Reads here: http://www.minervareads.com/the-ghost-garden-by-emma-carroll/
2. September 2nd 2021: The Week At World’s End ( Faber) Set over a few days in 1962, best friends Stevie and Ray’s boring, predictable life takes an exciting turn when they discover a runaway girl hiding in Stevie’s coal shed. The girl, Anna, needs their help: someone is following her, trying to poison her. As if that’s not dramatic enough, on the news the Americans and Russians are threatening nuclear war. The two things don’t seem connected… or are they? (cover in progress, with a new illustrator and it’s a beauty! Can’t wait to share it.)
3. November 11th 2021: A Night At the Frost Fair (Simon and Schuster) This story originally featured in the ‘Winter Magic’ anthology a few years ago, but has had a little makeover from me, and gained a new, sparkly look thanks to the accompanying festive illustrations by an incredible, award-winning illustrator ( details to be revealed soon!)
All three books are available to pre-order through your local indie bookshops, or from all the online book retailers. If you can pre-order, please do- it’s a huge help to authors and bookshops! x
THE TSUNAMI IS COMING….!!!
My next book, ‘The Somerset Tsunami’ is publishing 3rd October 2019. It’s my first full-length novel for over a year, and was the Editor’s Choice for 9-12 fiction in The Bookseller, so I’m really excited to share it with you! The story is inspired by the true events of January, 1607 when a huge surge of seawater flooded the Somerset coast. Recent research suggests it may have been a tsunami. Our main character is Fortune Sharpe, a girl who’s often mistaken for a boy, which doesn’t make life easy for her. I hope you’ll enjoy her adventures!
MY BOOKS TO DATE ARE :
You can find them online at all bookselling websites, including:
AND… at your local bookshop and library.